Modern website hosting services are finally cordial, technically masterly, all-encompassing, client-oriented and transparent. Few quid per month and you don’t have to worry about hosting, data safety, bandwidth, etc., be it a single-page site or an online store with thousands of pages. In this article, we take a look at some of the best UK web hosting providers.
Having combed through dozens of parameters and technical nuances of multiple companies, we’ve selected ten based on overall quality-price ratio. They are either British providers, or have servers in the UK, or EU companies with proximity that is apt in terms of response and reliability.
For terms and definitions involved, go to the FAQ section at the bottom first. We are going to present a brief summary about each of 10 UK web hosting services, with pricing, pros and cons, and we’ll summarize key data in a table. Without any further ado, here is our list in alphabetical order.
|Shared hosting||VPS hosting||Dedicated hosting||CDN||SSL certificate||DDoS protection||Free domain|
All UK web hosting providers state over 99% uptime, however we do not have enough resources and time to prove or disprove it. Same with response time, although most services have test files to check the speed. Start price implies minimum plan cost per month within shared hosting. Bandwidth and storage capacity in the summary table below correspond to a dedicated server option of maximum value. Each provider has more options to choose from, of course.
|Uptime, %||Start price||Data centers||Traffic, TB||Storage, TB||Response, ms|
Founded in 2003, A2 Hosting has always been paying great attention to infrastructure expansion, which made it one of the best Internet hosting providers in the UK. Fast-response servers are available for customers in Amsterdam (Europe), Singapore (Asia) and the USA (Michigan and Arizona). Albeit, Amsterdam servers are best for UK customers to reduce latency.
- Shared and WordPress hosting prices are the same and start from Lite plan for €4/month which allows one website, unlimited space and 25 email accounts. Swift tariff (€4.90/month) offers automatic backups, no limit for websites and emails.
- VPS at minimum costs €25/month per server with 4 GB RAM, 75 GB SSD, 2 TB traffic. The best offer (€47/month) in all respects exceeds the basic package by half.
A2 Hosting has a special return policy. In addition to the standard 30-day refund, a subscription refund is available. Customers who decide to leave but their subscription is not yet completed, can receive a refund for the remaining time. Technical support is proper and provides assistance in site migration, configuration, etc.
- Unlimited SSD storage
- Free SSL certificate
- Anytime money back policy
- No actual servers in the UK
- No backups in Lite plan
Top clients: Coinapps, Credit One Bank, Opentext Corp. Total: 326K websites (May 2020).
BlueHost provides 3 types of web hosting: shared, dedicated, and VPS. There are also special plans with WordPress and e-commerce optimized servers. Shared servers are the most affordable, as always, as it does not imply exclusive resources, like dedicated servers. Hosting capacity depends on a selected tariff, for example, the basic one is powered by a 4-core 2.3 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM and 500 GB storage.
- Shared hosting for €4.5/month provides 50 GB SSD per website, 5 domains and 25 subdomains. In total, 4 tariffs are available for shared hosting, with the most expensive one for €17/month – dedicated IP, anti-spam service, backups.
- VPS. In the Standard plan (€22/m), users get a server with dual-core processor, 2 GB of RAM, 1 TB traffic cap and 30 GB SSD. The Enhanced plan doubles the capacity, whereas the Ultimate gets you x4 more powerful server and 2 IP addresses.
- Dedicated. 500 GB storage and 5 TB bandwidth for €80/month standard.
Almost all BlueHost tariffs contain bonuses for customers. Free SSL certificates in shared servers, and $100 for Microsoft Advertising or Google Ads. VPS and Dedicated provide full root access and free domain name for 1 year.
- Up to 5 IP addresses per server
- Malware detection
- Full daily backups
- Site backup unavailable in Shared plans
- No site migration tools
Top clients: CouponFollow LLC, University of Toronto, OSCE. Total: 739K websites (May 2020).
GoDaddy is one of the most famous Internet hosting services and the largest in terms of customer base. The company provides a whole range of hosting services as well as domain registration. Both Linux and Windows servers are available. Users can benefit from 125 apps to accelerate CMS deployment (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.) and marketing tools.
- Shared hosting. 100 GB storage and unmetered bandwidth for £3.4/month, or unlimited subdomains and databases for £10/month.
- VPS. 4 plans, where the basic one offers a server with 1 GB RAM, 20 GB SSD and costs £4.
- Dedicated hosting. Intel Xeon processors for £100 and £140/month. AMD Epyc for £250.
Like other best UK web hosting providers, GoDaddy has 24/7 technical support and regular discounts, for example, the first year of domain name for £0.01. Also, users have access to a free website builder and a scanner for malicious files.
- Free sites on GoDaddy subdomain
- Unlimited bandwidth in all plans
- At least 100 GB SSD
- Relatively high price
- Only one data center in Europe (Amsterdam)
Top clients: Royal Central, LawDepot, Pearson PLC. Total: 44M websites (May 2020).
GreenGeeks provides web, WordPress and VPS hosting services since 2008. In 2017, they launched their own data center in Amsterdam to provide fast web hosting to residents of the EU and the UK. GreenGeeks servers are scalable, meaning that customers can reserve the increase of allocated power without switching to individual hosting.
- Shared hosting. The starter plan ($5/month) is for 1 website only. For $8 Pro – double, and $14 Premium x4 capacity and a dedicated IP.
- WordPress hosting. From $3/month to $12/month.
- VPS. Website transfer and 10 TB of traffic, the differences are only in the power of the servers: $40 – 2 GB RAM, 4 CPU, 50 GB SSD, $60 – 4 GB RAM, 75 GB SSD, $110 – 8 GB RAM, 6 CPU, 150 GB SSD server.
Over the years, more than 45,000 customers have used GreenGeeks services, and their servers host over 300K websites now. Also, not without reason, this company has “Green” in the name – they are proponents of green technologies. To compensate for the environmental impact, they finance the purchase of wind energy in 3-fold larger volume than consumed.
- Free Wildcard SSL
- Scalable servers
- Ecologically responsible
- No servers in the UK
- No full data about equipment
- No Windows servers
Top clients: Data Science Association, 7-Data Recovery, The National Coalition for the Homeless. Total: 300K websites (May 2020).
HeartInternet has provided web hosting services in the UK since 2004. The company also assists in setting up and transferring sites, creating mail servers, registering domain names. Their exclusive service is the Security Suite, which audits site performance, scans and removes malicious files, monitors domain blacklists and performs full automatic data backups.
- Shared hosting. With 4 tariffs, the Starter Pro allows hosting 1 website and 50 GB traffic costs £4/month. Business Pro supports 3 websites and no restrictions for £15.
- VPS. Dual CPU server for £40/m, 8 CPU for £110/m.
- Dedicated hosting. 2 plans: Intel Xeon server – £70/m, Intel Xeon E5 – £129/m.
The HeartInternet infrastructure is built on servers from Dell and uses high-end equipment from Cisco and Juniper Systems. Their data centers are protected from emergency situations and natural disasters.
- Multiple additional services
- Security Suite technology
- Data center in the UK
- Prices are pre-tax
- Costly WordPress hosting
Top clients: Heriot-Watt University, North-West Evening Mail, Birkbeck. Total: 153K websites (May 2020).
HostGator does not have its own data centers in Europe, but is widely known as a reliable provider of web hosting services. It is easy to set up and run a site of any type because HostGator supports any popular CMS: WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento, Wiki, phpBB, etc. Also, their servers are compatible with PHP, Ruby on Rails and Python scripts, which opens up many technical opportunities. In addition, there’s an arsenal of technical features for administrators.
- Shared hosting. The minimum cost for 1 domain and unlimited bandwidth is $4/month. A maximum one is $8/month, including an unlimited number of sites and a dedicated IP.
- VPS. From $24 to $60 per month.
- Dedicated hosting. The basic package for $139/month offers 4 CPUs, 8 GB RAM and 1 TB HDD. SSD media is only available in higher plans – $179 and $199/m.
Additional advantages comprise a website builder, 1-click installer for WordPress and a free domain name after purchasing a subscription for a year or more. Professionals will surely appreciate unlimited subdomains, access to the root folder, logging tools (Webalizer, Raw Log Manager, AWStats, etc.)
- Free website migration
- Full specs for dedicated servers
- Compatible with multiple web tools
- Data centers in the USA only
- Parked domains not available in basic plans
- No SSL certificate
Top clients: Case Western Reserve University, Velocity Products Inc., TSC Stores LP. Total: 279K websites (May 2020).
A veteran in web hosting, Hostinger was launched in 2004 in Lithuania. Since then it has become a multinational hosting service with clients in 178 countries. Data centers are located on 4 continents and in 7 countries, including a separate server location in the UK. This means that UK residents can host websites with fast response time, which is crucial in our day and age. Also, Hostinger is known for cheap rates and frequent discounts.
P.S. In addition to all of the above, they do email hosting. Check out The most popular email services for more.
- Shared hosting. Starting from £2/month we get 1 website and 1 email address, yet also 100 GB bandwidth. Premium for £5.8/month removes these restrictions.
- VPS. 6 various plans from £5/m up to £45/m – the most powerful server with 8 CPUs, 160 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM and 8 TB traffic.
- Cloud hosting. The Startup plan supports up to 300 websites for £13/m, and for £45/m we get x4 more resources in the Global plan.
- Discounts for long subscription periods
- Lifetime SSL certificates
- Own data center in the UK
- Costly monthly subscription
- Daily backups must be paid separately
Top clients: American Football Coaches Association, FreeDigitalPhotos, Bouclair Inc. Total: 557K websites (May 2020).
InMotion tariffs are initially slightly higher as of other UK web hosting services on the list, though it is justified by several factors. Firstly, they have a transparent pricing policy with no tricks, you can check amended prices without adding a product to the bin. Also, a basic plan by InMotion is as potent as a mid-range plan by other web hosting providers. There are no limits on disk space and bandwidth in any plan.
- Shared hosting. Prices start at $7.5/month to host 2 websites. For $15, in addition to unlimited sites, we get Pro tech support and x4 more resources.
- VPS. $39 to $84/month, with differences in RAM and storage (up to 260 GB).
- Dedicated hosting. A large grid for all possible needs, starting from $79/month. Customers can purchase a hosting with specific requirements.
All site owners get access to marketing tools. These include a free website builder, promotion credits, traffic statistics. And the Security Suite provides regular backups and DDoS protection.
- Unlimited disk space
- Spam filter for email servers
- 90-day money back guarantee
- No monthly subscription, annual only
- High prices
- Only 2 sites in the basic plan
Top clients: Inspired Taste Inc., Global Brands Publications, The Chess World. Total: 347K websites (May 2020).
Many web hosting companies have separate plans for WordPress-based sites, but Kinsta is an exclusive WordPress hosting provider. In over 10 years, they have achieved a lot in this area, as WordPress is undeniably the most popular CMS globally. Kinsta offers virtual servers with automatic scaling as you go. To manage servers, they utilize Nginx, PHP and MariaDB.
- WordPress hosting. The basic option costs $30/month, and guarantees 1 WordPress website, 20K visitors cap and 10 GB space for data. Further tariffs increase in cost and resources by approximately x2: business at $100 and enterprise starts at $600.
Kinsta takes good care of support and data protection. All data is backed up automatically on a daily basis, although it can be increased for an extra fee. Firewalls to detect DDoS attacks are re-checked every 2 minutes.
- 720 automatic site availability checks per day
- Protection against unauthorized access
- Regular backups
- Only WordPress hosting
- Google Cloud infrastructure
- High pricing
Top clients: LondonNet Ltd., British Airways PLC, Russell Brand. Total: 25K websites (May 2020).
Another web hosting provider with its own data center in the UK is Siteground. They also got servers in the USA, the Netherlands and Singapore. Shared hosting imposes no bandwidth cap, supports WordPress and provides SSL. In partnership with Google Cloud, they also promote modern environmental standards and use renewable energy. In addition to WordPress, users can deploy e-commerce CMS, such as WooCommerce, Magento, PrestaShop, OpenCart etc.
- Shared hosting. A starter plan for £4.4/month allows only 1 website and 10 GB space, while the maximum (£9/month) grants 30 GB and unlimited websites.
- Cloud hosting. The minimum price is £43/m. In total there are 4 plans, the most powerful server with 8 CPUs, 10 GB RAM and 120 GB SSD is available for £130/m.
For top customers, the Enterprise hosting service is available. It entails an opportunity to order individual server settings, special architecture based on LXC containers designed to balance server load due to rapid changes in web traffic.
- Data center in the UK
- Ability to customize VPS capacities
- Tool for collaborative administration
- Separate WordPress and WooCommerce hosting no different from regular hosting
- Prices without taxes
Top clients: OPI Magazine, Springer, Ipsos Group. Total: 24K websites (May 2020).
Read next: Best blockchain companies in the UK.
Q: What is web hosting?
A: Briefly, hosting is the place for website files for further public Internet use.
Q: What is shared hosting?
A: This is a type of web hosting in which the resources of one server are divided equally between several users of this server.
Q: What is VPS?
A: Virtual Private Server offers clients to reserve certain server capacities. At the same time, other users can use the server, but only within the framework of allocated capacities.
Q: What is dedicated hosting?
A: Hosting on a dedicated server allows the site administrator to independently manage the technical side of the server, its status, and the use of resources. It guarantees the preservation of server capacity for a single selected customer, but it is the most expensive service among other types of hosting.
Q: What is a scalable server?
A: These are servers whose resources can be enhanced or reduced according to demand. Some hosting providers have algorithms for automatic scaling, thus saving on operating costs.
Q: Why do I need to buy a domain name?
A: Because otherwise, a website cannot be found by its name, only an IP address.
Q: Why is using the nearest data center important?
A: Besides site settings, loading speed is also affected by how long the signal from a user travels. When a page contains large volumes of content, it will significantly slow down the site for visitors.
Q: Why do I need web hosting providers?
A: Mainly because such complete hosting solutions are cheaper than doing it independently. Most businesses and companies do not own their own server infrastructure anyhow.
Q: What is DDoS?
A: This is an attempt to make a site inaccessible for users by sending a large number of requests to it. The maximum number of requests that a website can process depends on what hardware is used. Hosting companies also offer security solutions that detect and block DDoS attacks before they cause damage.
Q: What is a web server?
A: This is a computer accommodating a website. Its main difference from a conventional PC is that it uses particularly powerful hardware and special OS configurations.
Q: What is the cheapest UK web hosting provider?
A: The most affordable hosting of all companies listed above is by Hostinger.
Q: What is server uptime?
A: The time during which a server is available without disconnection. The higher the uptime metric is, the better operation can a hosting provider guarantee.
Q: What is the root folder of a website?
A: This is a core folder with all files and data. Some hosting providers restrict root access to users, making only subfolders available. This is usually done to block the modification of some preconfigured files.
Q: What is a website builder?
A: This is a software which, typically with drag-and-drop UI and pre-configured elements, that allows building websites with minimum (or no) coding.
Q: What is bandwidth?
A: The amount of data that can be transmitted / received per unit of time. The lower the bandwidth, the less users can visit a website at the same time. Also, high bandwidth makes a site more resistant to DDoS attacks.
Q: What is an SSL certificate?
A: The certificate used to set up an encrypted channel between a site and visitors. The presence of such a certificate is required by certain web browsers.
Q: What is a subdomain?
A: The dots between the words in the site name are separators between the levels of domains for web browsers. Any word before a dot denotes a subdomain.
Q: What is a parked domain?
A: Registration of a domain name (website address) without creating the site itself. This is essentially a way to reserve a free domain name.