What is the first thing you do in the morning? Oh, come on, I won’t believe it’s taking a shower. The very moment you open your eyes… you reach out for your smartphone. And you’re doing that not only because you want to turn off the alarm. You are checking your mobile notifications. Scrolling newsfeed. Liking posts. Uploading photos. Nope, I’m not a visionary. That’s just what everyone else is doing. Each of us is always connected. For this reason, mobile marketing becomes a must-have in every promotion strategy.
54% say they check their phones while lying in bed: before they go to sleep, after they wake up, even in the middle of the night.
Mobile marketing: how to monetize human addiction?
Remind customers of your existence, products and services instantly? Hmmm, sounds awesome! Needless to say, brands couldn’t miss such a perfect chance. Here’s why app marketing turns from something brand new into a commonplace thing. Yet, not each company manages to get its full power. What is wrong then? Why aren’t all those mobile addicts using your app? Let’s figure out the most common mistakes in mobile marketing and the business marketing ideas, which will help to avoid them.
MISTAKE #1: APP PROMOTION? LET’S DEVELOP AN APP FIRST, AND THEN WE’LL SEE
Don’t ever act like Scarlet O’Hara with her putting the important things off. When it comes to building an application – no, you cannot think about its promotion tomorrow. Before launching any activities on design and development – you need to have a marketing strategy. Otherwise, your app will become “just-another-best-app-in-the-store”. Without any downloads. Or, if any – quick uninstalls.
As you see, the competition for any industry is extremely high. That means you cannot afford wasting time and money on app development without considering possible risks and getting a clear vision of market share. So, here is a checklist on how to develop an efficient mobile marketing strategy (some options may seem too obvious, yet, they are an inseparable part of app’s successful adoption):
- Choose the app category. Nothing special – will help you with app stores promotion later on.
- Analyze the competitors. If you want to differentiate from them, suggest something unique and get downloads.
- Define your end users. That allows you to not only concentrate on their burning needs but also anticipate their desires in the future. Imagine they are standing in front of you – it’s really helpful.
- Select the promotion tools and channels. Specify either that will be ASO only, or you are going to leverage social media, Google App Campaigns, blogs, ads in other apps etc.
- Monitor and analyze data constantly. These two words – analytics and research should become ordinary for you. No matter whether they relate to customer behavior, your mobile marketing efforts, market share and competitors. Only by comparing the feedback to the present features, you will be able to improve your app. Likewise, tracking competitor’s activities and acquiring industry best practices will make you stand out in the crowd.
- Decide how to validate the app. How are you going to drive the revenue from your app? Will it be freemium with some super features to pay for? Will you include popup ads into it? Or will it be fully paid? Opt for the one that suits you most and then build the marketing activities around that.
- Set tight timing constraints. Strict deadlines? Yeah. For each and every activity (though it rather relates to time management, you simply won’t reach the endpoint if you don’t move with stable speed).
Need the assistance in mobile app marketing strategy crafting?
MISTAKE #2: CONSIDERING THAT MOBILE AND DESKTOP USER BEHAVIORS ARE THE SAME
We will not reinvent the wheel by saying “no, they are not”. Mobile and desktop experiences totally differ. Like night and day. What works out for PC will never be that effective for smartphone or tablet. By treating them the same, you don’t only lose active users, but also fail to get the benefits applications grant.
That is why the golden rule of mobile app marketing is NOT to squeeze the desktop functionality into a small screen. It negatively affects impressions from the app and makes people remove it. As far as we can understand, you don’t aim for that, do you? Then have a look at some inseparable things in mobile marketing:
- Mobile optimization*3 times. Elementary, my dear Watson, but rarely followed rule. We still wonder – why do some app developers create a real stack of features in a tiny case? And they continue doing that year after year, while mobile applications allow focusing on really important and valuable things. Strive for minimalistic design, large buttons, intuitive icons and color hints – users love if interfaces are friendly. Lack something of the list? Repair it right away! You will be surprised what a huge impact such little things can have.
- Forget about popups (except ads, if you need to survive somehow). Popups irritate mobile users. Maybe desktop as well, but mobile even more. No one likes trying to tap on the right button and get rid of the annoying ad several times. If you don’t want your users to have pumped finger muscles – exclude the popups from your app.
- Shorten user journey. Mobile addicts do not have time to find a link in an article, which will redirect them to the article with some more information and there will it be! A registration/order form by the end of the second/fifth/eleventh etc. article. No, if they install your app – they want something you suggest right here, right now. So, one of the most useful marketing ideas for mobile apps promotion is never put a key action more than 5 taps away.
MISTAKE #3: IGNORING APP STORES OPTIMIZATION (ASO)
You have published your Best App in the stores. You have even scheduled some promotional activities. And you leave aside the app stores optimization? Don’t think the users will find your application on their own. Just like with websites – if it is too far in the search – no one will see it. ASO is as important for mobile marketing, as SEO for websites. The only plausible reason we can find for not using it is considering ASO too time-consuming. Well, not so plausible, as it may cost you hundreds of active users.
How to do app store optimization right then? Follow these marketing tips to get your app if not in the top, then on the first page in the store at least:
- Choose the keywords thoroughly. The Forrester research shows that 63% of mobile users learned about the app by using the store search. It means you need to include keywords not only in the specific fields during publishing but into the title as well. To discover the most searchable words, you can monitor the competitors. And don’t forget to track keywords impact on app ranking on a regular basis.
- Tailor the app to each store. Both AppStore and Google Play have different mechanisms of publishing and ranking. The influence of those mechanisms on mobile marketing cannot be underestimated. It’s like with clothing sizes – what fits one person, can be tight or loose on another one. And it means you have to adapt your app to the store requirements, e.g., introducing slight changes into the interface, altering descriptions etc.
- Gain more positive reviews. The rating of your application is tightly aligned with its ranking. To get more reviews from real users is a great idea, isn’t it? Yeah, but most app developers are forcing the users to put the sacred 5 stars. Instead of suggesting some tangible benefits for reviews or recommendations. Such as free month of premium features, additional space or huge discounts for mobile shopping. It won’t cost you too much, but will give your app much in return.
To sum it up
Sure, we believe that you are not the one who makes those awful mistakes. Still, we hope that the list of our tips is useful for your app. So, here is a recap of what can be done to improve your mobile marketing:
- Create the solid app promotion Think well of each app launch stage, document it and set time limits. Keep in mind the monetizing.
- Develop user-friendly mobile application. Take care of minimum steps to the key action, intuitive interface, and handy menu.
- Optimize the app for AppStore and Google Play. Select the proper key words, encourage users to rate the app and mind specific technical stores requirements.
Want more details on mobile app promotion?
Finally, some bonus pieces of advice:
- Keep analyzing everything you do to ensure the activities are effective enough. Never stop mixing the mobile marketing tactics and measuring how they impact your app.
- Get real feedback from your users and do the utmost to implement their wishes. Thus, you will both acquire the new users and retain the existing. And if the latter are satisfied with your app, they will undoubtedly recommend it to friends.
Want some more online marketing tips for promoting your application? Stay tuned with the e-commerce mobile marketing trends you cannot miss in 2017.
Receive all popular articles, tips and how to’s from our blog