MalwareBytes review 2019 with pricing, features, tests and download
Malwarebytes is a cybersecurity anti-malware program. Anti-malware is a vital software today providing protection against malicious files and infected sites. It detects and removes adware, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and ransomware. Malwarebytes has a unique set
Malwarebytes versions and hardware requirements
Malwarebytes is available for Microsoft Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. Current product version is 188.8.131.5211. There are Personal and Business packages. You can install Free edition for personal use on Windows. Premium edition provides not only remediation but also protection, for instance, against dangerous links. There are four Business packages:
- Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection & Response
- Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection
- Malwarebytes Endpoint Security
- Malwarebytes Incident Response
Malwarebytes hardware requirements for Windows:
- CPU: 800 Mhz or faster, with SSE2 technology
- RAM: 2 GGB (64-bit OS), 1 GB (32-bit OS, except 512 MB for Windows XP)
- 250 MB of free hard disk space
- 1024x768 or higher screen resolution
- Active Internet connection for updates
You can choose a version appropriate for business: standalone or managed. The standalone solution is perfect for teams and small offices; it implies no central management. Malwarebytes Endpoint Security is a perfect choice for business and enterprise. It combines protection and remediation technologies for multi-layer defense. Each version has separate technical specifications, which can be configured by the Management Console.
Management Console hardware requirements:
- CPU: 2 GHz (dual-core 2.6 GHZ or higher)
- RAM: 2 GB (4 GB recommended)
- Disk space: 10 GB (20 GB recommended)
- Screen resolution: 1024x768 or higher
- Active internet connection
Mac Remediation hardware requirements:
- Any Apple Mac device with Mac OS X version 10.8 or later
- Active Internet connection for updates
What does Malwarebytes do
- Via anti-rootkit, anti-malware, and anti-spyware technology detects and removes malware;
- Offers a choice of scan types/modes for user needs - Threat scan, Custom scan, Hyper scan;
- Proactively shields files, blocking any ransomware;
- Prevents connection with infected websites, downloads of malware, and hacking attempts;
- Blocks phishing sites,
protectssensitive personal/business data, e.g. banking account credentials;
- Stops so-called crypto jacking (secretly installing software to mine cryptocurrencies).
Here is Malwarebytes in action:
Interface / User experience
This popular anti-malware product surely has an intuitive interface. Dashboard section displays all information of current importance: the date of last and next (scheduled) scan, real-time protection settings, available malware database updates. Scan section serves to review the results of last scan and scheduling check-ups. We’ll describe scan options below. In this tab, you can also export
Reports section stores data about recent activities. Settings section contains several tabs. In the Application tab, you can select update options, display language, manage notifications, enable Proxy Server, collect event log data, etc. You can also schedule a scan in the appropriate tab of the Settings section. You can choose scan priority - at high priority scanning will take minimum time but may affect other tasks. With lower scan priority it will take longer to scan everything.
Protection tab contains all necessary settings for real-time protection, scans, and potential threat protection (including unwanted programs and modifications), quarantine and startup options. Also, you can add or remove applications for shielding in a Manage Protected Applications option. In the Exclusions tab of Settings, you can exclude items from detection: files, folders, websites, apps or exploits (previously detected attacks). Later on, you can manage or remove exclusions in the same tab. In
Trial and its limitations, Malwarebytes pricing
Paid plans pricing depend on the number of devices and subscription terms. Personal edition costs $39.99 for 12 months/1 device, $69.98 for 24 months/ 1 device. For 2 devices:
Business pricing for 2 devices:
1 yearsubscription - $84 2 yearsubscription - $144 3 yearsubscription - $190
Business pricing for 5 devices:
1 yearsubscription - $169 2 yearsubscription - $288 3 yearsubscription - $382
Business pricing for 10 devices:
1 yearsubscription - $425 2 yearsubscription - $720 3 yearsubscription - $955
For Enterprise edition one has to contact a sales manager and request a quote.
Types of Scans
Malwarebytes offers three types of scanning: Threat Scan, Custom Scan, Hyper Scan. Threat Scan is launched daily by default. It takes the longest but checks a computer most thoroughly. This scanning method detects a majority of threats. It doesn’t scan literally every file on a PC but checks the locations where typically malware attacks happen:
- startup objects: executable files initiated at computer startup;
- memory objects: memory allocated by drivers, operating system processes, other applications;
- registry objects: changes made to
- file system
objects:files on local drives.
With Custom Scan a user can choose what and where you want Malwarebytes for Windows to scan. To customize a scan, click the Custom Scan option, then click Configure Scan. With this option, you can choose areas to scan. In addition to memory objects, startup and registry objects, users can scan the following items:
- Archive files (ZIP, 7Z, RAR, CAB, and MSI) ignored during the usual scan. They can be tested up to two levels deep, except for the password-protected encrypted files.
- Rootkits which are invisible to the operating system though they are stored on the local disc and may influence system behavior.
- Potentially unwanted programs (PUP/PUA), modifications.
Hyper Scan mode is for instant detection of active threats and their removal. It in Malwarebytes app searches for threats in memory and startup objects. It is fast but not that thorough. Only Premium users have access to this service. If Hyper Scan catches any immediate threats, it is a good idea to run additional Threat Scan.
If you are a Premium edition user, you can schedule a scan, edit its details or remove it. To add the schedule, go to Scan schedule tab and press Add. Then, choose the scan type, date and time, frequency and recurrence. You can choose to quarantine all threats automatically or to receive a notification each time a new threat is detected, and decide on the action Malwarebytes should take. We should mention that sometimes a legitimate file can be categorized as malicious and in this
Malwarebytes is an extremely convenient malware removal software. You just install it and let it do its job. It has one complete scan scheduled daily by default and it protects from malicious websites and all sorts of attacks. Malwarebytes allows
Though, we recommend upgrading to Premium. It is worth it, as real-time protection really makes a difference. Two great features are also available for Premium users: anti-ransomware and anti-exploit. Besides, scan scheduling has more options and is more flexible. A great way to use Malwarebytes is to have it in combination with an antivirus. Malwarebytes labs regularly test most popular antiviruses for compatibility and update the list of software which runs well alongside, for private and business use. For example, Avast and Kaspersky will do just fine.
Activation. To activate Malwarebytes you should be logged into Windows as administrator. Select a Malwarebytes version you want to buy, order, and a license key will be delivered
Quarantine. During the scans, files or programs categorized as threats are removed from the location where they were found and placed in quarantine. They are modified to eliminate the possibility of causing damage to
Application Logs. In previous Malwarebytes version 2, there is access to logs in a History tab, to read, copy and export them. In
Malwarebytes performance test
We ran the recommended - the most thorough - Threat Scan which lasted 27 minutes. While it was running, we continued working on PC: editing pictures in Photoshop and searching for some information on the Internet. We didn’t notice any
Adware can download or display advertisements on the infected device, collect marketing behavior data, and even affect user’s search requests. AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes is a separate app to download and it targets adware, spyware and potentially unwanted programs. Also, it removes unnecessary browser toolbars which you can’t remember installing because it was bundled with other software and imposed without permission. Impact on memory and processor power is insignificant. AdwCleaner scans everything in a couple of minutes and delivers results which a user can check in logs and observe in improved computer performance.
Malwarebytes is a must today. It is certainly dominant over most of
- A free version is available
- Compatible with most antiviruses
- Simple and friendly interface
- Noticeable and fast results
- Exceptionally quick scans
- Real-time protection in the paid version
- Does not slow performance
- Works for all the popular platforms
- Advanced features may require technical knowledge
- In the free version, one has to check for updates manually
- Pop-up prompting to update a free version to a paid one is annoying
- Ransomware Protection is not available for Windows XP or Vista.